Marcos Scriven bio photo

Marcos Scriven

Sporadic poster of diversions

Twitter Github

Having printed the pre-sliced Android model that came with the kit, I tried using Slic3r for the first time to generate GCode for a couple of models from Thingiverse.

The first was just a stepped ‘thing’, offered as a calibration object. I used a layer size of 0.3mm, nozzle size of 0.4mm, bed temp of 60C, hotend temp of 200C, and everything else default. The steps at the front look good, except the final top one looks rather rounded, and sagged a bit. Also the top of the little void has sagged a lot.

androids.jpg Detailed shape for calibration

The second model was a simple iPhone 5 bumper. Used the same Slic3r settings as before, but this time with a 0.1mm layer size. Was very impressed with the smoothness of the sides, and the fact it was even possible to bridge a good 3cm gap across the hole for the buttons. The area around the hole though is quite rough, and there’s some little bobbles on the corners.

androids.jpg Overhang